Scripps Ranch Road Name Origins
Where did our Scripps Ranch roads get their names? Historian Carole Flesh created this beautiful narrative to explain our beloved Scripps Ranch real estate road name origins.
Scripps Ranch Road Names Explained
E.W. Scripps commissioned Arthur Putnam to sculpt figures in bronze that would represent the history of California. The figures thus created were an Indian, a padre, and a plowman.
They were situated in the Courtyard. Wild Grapes covered the Arboretum to give shade and cooling the summer months. There were three turrets on the main house. One Turret was the residence of Miss Ellen B. Scripps until she moved to La Jolla in 1897. When the 2,000 square foot living room was added to the house in 1936, one turret was demolished. The living room ceiling was finished in hand-rubbed bleached Red Cedar.
Gumbark and Ironwood are common names for the species of eucalyptus planted throughout the ranch. The Aviary housed many wild birds for the enjoyment of the Scripps family and their many guests. Have you ever noticed how Red the Rocks are around the stables and mansion?
In 1918 E.W. and Mrs. Scripps cruised along the Atlantic coast and finally through the Panama Canal to San Diego on their new 96-foot motor yacht, the Kemah. Unfortunately, the “Kemah” wasn’t adequate for the long sea voyages E.W. preferred, so in 1922 he replaced it with the “Ohio.”
In 1907 Miss Eliza Virginia Scripps, sister of E.W. donated land for a church to be called “St. James by the
Sea”. Two years later she donated nine acres for construction of the Bishop’s School in La Jolla. The headmistress of the school from 1920 to 1953 was Miss Caroline Cummins.
Dr. William E. Ritter was a well-known scientist and good friends of the Scripps’. Dr. Ritter helped found the Science Service in 1920 and the Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
Chauncy Jerabeck was the head gardener on the Ranch in the early 1900s. He later planned the gardens for the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park.
Negley D. Cochran was a friend, associate, and biographer of E.W. Scripps. His excellent book published in 1933 has been a principal source of material for these articles.
By Carole Flesh, Historian